Agents of the Secret City
Rules and Guidelines
1. Player characters should be gnomes. One player may play a warforged, and a second may play a changeling.
2. Player characters are students of the University Library of Korranberg, coming from one of several colleges all with their own specialty and rivalry amongst the others. Each Library has an associated theme. Each theme provides player characters with a number of benefits from first level up to entry into Paragon tier. Some of these benefits are free, whereas others are optional powers that a player character may swap out for a same-level power from their class.
3. All students of the Library, including the player characters, must provide the Library with four years of service in exchange for their free education. For most, this entails menial labor and assistance to professors and staff. For the top students possessing the most talent, drive, and zeal for adventure there is only one available option: Independent, Library-sanctioned “Research Groups” who answer only to the Wise Council, made up of the Elder Sages of each Library College led by the Arch-Savant Reginald Hawkdragon. Players should decide upon a name for their research group.
4. Player characters begin at level 1, with the default options available for character generation (such as ability points or roll methods, skills, powers, and etc.)
5. The Library provides special identification papers and travel papers to all students entering into a tenure as an operative Research Group. In addition, the various colleges provide a gift to assist in graduate studies:
○ Blackdragon: One of any 3rd level alchemical item of the player’s choice, 90 gp worth of alchemical components, and 4 alchemical formulae that cost 200 gp or less (individually).
○ Balinor’s Horn: A dire fox mount with saddle and harness.
○ Soladas: Special access to the House of Illumination. The forbidden wing of the Library contains its most precious, and often-times most dangerous, lore. Not only books, but relics from bygone ages are preserved in the Vaults. Eight hours spent in the House of Illumination provides a +2 bonus to any Knowledge skill rolls made until the character’s next extended rest, and a +5 bonus to any single Knowledge skill roll related to the subject upon which the character is specifically studying up on in the House of Illumination.
○ The Tabernacle: Students of the Tabernacle can expect to receive a 15% discount on all temple services from religious establishments throughout Zilargo. Additionally, the character receives a Holy Symbol of Level 3 or less (example: a Symbol of Hope +1).
○ Aureon’s Holt: Provides its law students with a sharpened silver dagger, a silent tool, and a piece of eternal chalk.
6. Player characters that are scions of the Great Dragon-Marked House Sivis receive a signet ring.